Help With NHS Costs
In England, around 90% of prescription items are dispensed free. This includes exemptions from charging for those on low incomes, such as:
- Those on specific benefits or through the NHS Low Income Scheme.
- Those who are age exempt.
- Those with certain medical conditions.
- More information is available at NHS Choices.
These charges apply in England only. In Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales prescriptions are free of charge.
- Prescription (per item): £9.35.
- 12-month prepayment certificate (PPC): £108.10.
- 3-month PPC: £30.25.
If you will have to pay for four or more prescription items in three months or more than 14 items in 12 months, you may find it cheaper to buy a PPC.
- Telephone advice and order line 0845 850 0030.
- General Public – Buy or Renew a PPC On-line.
There is further information about prescription exemptions and fees on the NHS website.